Job Responsibilities : Mechanical Engineer
Salary : $102000 per year
Company : Nielsen-Kellerman Co
Location : Remote US
The Mechanical Design Engineer at NK executes all aspects of the mechanical engineering of new products for our portfolio of rugged measurement instrumentation: customer needs analysis ideation industrial design 3D mechanical design of enclosures and accessories prototyping testing vendor selection vendor management first article approvals assembly and test process development fixture creation process improvement and sustainment. The NK Mechanical Design engineer must be a master of SolidWorks or Creo/Pro/ENGINEER 3D CAD and must understand the detailed steps involved in turning a design concept into a manufacturable product. Most of our products feature injection molded waterproof enclosures with tight tolerances and competing demands of space utilization size ruggedness and light weight. Our products are typically specified to meet IP-67 water resistance and MIL-STD-810G drop resistance. NK products are also beautiful and designed for intuitive use in demanding environments. And finally NK products are designed from concept up to be built here in our Lean factory efficiently and cost-effectively. If you are experienced in similar product design environments and excited to work as part of a small agile team that creates new products for passionate and professional users this is the job for you. This is at-will employment.
Essential Functions / Responsibilities
- Be the mechanical design resource on “concept-to-customer” design teams creating and launching new electronic instruments every year.
- Design assemblies molded parts and fixtures using CAD software.
- Be responsible for sustaining updating and improving existing designs.
- Design for test and manufacturability.
- Direct coordinate or fabricate prototype product sample builds.
- Evaluate first articles for size tolerances and other aspects of mechanical compliance to documentation.
- Lead the design and development of test systems and programs for mechanical qualities such as leak testing drop testing solvent-resistance and other physical performance characteristics.
- Analyze test data and reports to determine if design meets functional reliability and quality requirements.
- Produce product documentation that identifies critical product dimensional and performance requirements for vendors and line operators.
- Test troubleshoot and document changes in new and existing parts and assemblies
- Interface with mechanical part vendors such as injection molders and custom machining houses.
- Understand material qualities and make recommendations for various materials such as: thermoplastics fasteners adhesives sealing rings and gaskets displays keypads and other mechanical components.
- Independently apply extensive and diversified knowledge of mechanical engineering principles and practices to real-world design challenges.
Personal Qualities for Success in this Job
- Able to work independently on major projects and/or several projects of moderate scope with complex features.
- Self-confidence to evaluate technologies and materials for suitability to current and future product designs and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to execute design projects independently with limited management oversight.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others including other design and manufacturing professionals line workers and vendors.
- Possessing both a willingness and ability to learn new things and the judgement to recognize when you need to seek outside advice and assistance
- Excellent time-management prioritization and task completion.
- First and foremost strong skills across the breadth of mechanical design requirements of similar products.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong CAD skills preferably with Solidworks.
- Understanding of bills of materials and product and component costing.
- Solid ability to conduct internet research and use the full Microsoft Office suite to accomplish job responsibilities.
Education and Experience
- 5+ years of experience mechanical engineering experience in a design build environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical/Industrial Engineering
- Experience working in cross-functional teams
- Experience and/or training in lean manufacturing principles
This position does not have direct supervisory responsibilities. All development engineers are expected to function as project leads for some projects.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Climate-controlled indoor office with attached manufacturing facility. May be required to stoop kneel crouch or crawl climb or balance. Must be able to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Dogs in office.
Most training is on-the-job but formal education and training may be provided where appropriate.
Work Location & Hours
NK operates on a team-led hybrid first model. This position will include both remote and on-site work with the balance of the two depending on the stage and needs of the projects. Given the hands-on nature of this position and its close integration with manufacturing it is expected to be on-site two to three days a week and working from home or other remote location of your choice the remainder of the week. We expect employees working remotely to be available to collaborate virtually Monday to Friday during the core hours of 10am-4pm Eastern. In addition our remote teams get together on-site and in-person when the team determines that is the most effective way to advance a project or goal. Accordingly applicants to this position must live within a reasonable commute time to our headquarters in Boothwyn PA or be willing to relocate at their expense. We provide a quality laptop test and development tools secured access to company resources and a technology allowance for establishing a home office. Remote employees are expected to have access to high-speed internet. Engineering employees have the use of our R&D labs and machine shop on site. All employees have access to visitor cubicles and employees who prefer to work on site more than half of the time may request an assigned cubicle. These policies and work arrangements may change in the future. We expect “excellence from anywhere” and trust our employees to become engaged in their work and passionate about making their contributions to our growth and strategy in a way that works for them while supporting the productivity of the team.
This is a salaried position. Pay rate commensurate with qualifications and experience as well as company size. Annual bonus based on company and individual performance ranges averages 3 to 5% of compensation.
- Fully paid employee benefits include medical dental vision disability and life insurance
- Voluntary benefits include family medical life insurance critical care insurance FSA dependent care and pet insurance
- HSA with employer contribution
- 401k with employer match to 5%
- 9 paid holidays one floating holiday and open PTO
- All benefits are subject to a benefit waiting period of approximately 90 days
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Must be eligible to work in the US without sponsorship. Security clearance is not required.
Equal Opportunity Employer
NK is an equal opportunity employer. NK conducts all employment-related activities in full compliance with all applicable Federal and State laws and without regard to an individual’s age color gender disability marital status national origin citizenship race religion sexual orientation veteran status or other legally protected category. No person will be discriminated against in hiring or in any other aspect of their employment including training transfer promotion compensation benefits and all other aspects of employment. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Nielsen-Kellerman is the parent company for eight brands focused on helping people succeed in their profession or passion by providing mission-critical measurements information insight and guidance whenever and wherever needed. Ambient Weather Kestrel Weather KestrelMet RainWise Kestrel Ballistics MagnetoSpeed Blue Ocean Megaphones and NK Sports are each recognized as the preeminent products for their applications from meteorology to military firefighting to farming and rowing to research. Our products ARE us – we design them build them sell them and passionately stand behind them.
NK has been in business for over four decades and is still growing stronger. Working here offers excellent opportunities for personal and professional development as well as the fun and satisfaction of being part of a successful American business. NK is a Lean enterprise committed to American manufacturing and continuous improvement of our design production administrative and sales processes.
NK’s headquarters comprises three facilities located in Boothwyn PA about 30 minutes southwest of Philadelphia. Our Ambient Weather brand operates primarily from Chandler AZ in the Phoenix suburbs. NK’s work environment is informal and high-energy and our employees’ quality of life is important to us. NK has been named a Philly Top Workplace 8 times including 2021.