Job Responsibilities : Bus Operator
Salary : $28.12 an hour
Company : City of Ottawa
Location : Ottawa, ON CA
Requisition ID: 2944
Department: Transit Services Department
Service: Transit Bus Operations & Maintenance Service
Branch: Bus & Para Transit Operations Branch
Employment Type: Multiple Permanent Positions
Work Hours: 40.00 /hours per week (Shift Work)
Affiliation: ATU 279
Salary Information: Training rate is 50% of full-time Bus Operator wage rate ($16.543/hr) (2022 Rates of Pay)
Note: Rates of pay after successful completion of training is:
1st – 8 months – 85% of Bus Operator rate ($28.123/hr)
9th – 15 months – 90% of Bus Operator rate ($29.777/hr)
16th – 23 months – 95% of Bus Operator rate ($31.432/hr)
After 24 months – Full Bus Operator rate ($33.086/hr) (2022 Rates of Pay)
Location: Transit Service 1500 St.Laurent
City: Ottawa ON
Job Category: Bus Operator
Application Close: 31/07/2022
Transit Operations provides safe reliable and courteous transit services and excellence in customer service delivery to 100 million transit customers per year by means of conventional bus para transit and rail operations. The Transit Bus and Para Transit Operations team provides safe reliable efficient effective on time courteous and cost-effective rapid transit service to a growing and diverse City of Ottawa.
You operate City of Ottawa buses in accordance with the Highway Traffic Act and corporate policy. You also promote a customer service mindset when interacting with the general public and provide a safe comfortable efficient and reliable transportation service.
Bus Operators who temporarily work in the roles of Operator/Bilingual Sightseeing and Charter Sightseeing and Operator/Platform Instructor will be paid the appropriate rate or differential for the time that this work is performed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Completion of Grade 12.
Minimum of 5 years of driving experience with a clean driving record free of demerit points and including ideally a minimum 3 years of relevant customer service experience including direct contact with the public and dealing with a diverse population.
Public Urban transit experience is an asset
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENCES
- City of Ottawa landmarks and locations
- Knowledge of transit fares and pass structure
- Knowledge of the Highway Traffic Act
- Knowledge of/experience using portable communications technologies such as 2-way radio
COMPETENCIES SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Able to adapt/react to changes in operating conditions/environment
- Able to operate in a highly diverse cultural community
- Attentive to detail and able to adhere to specific detailed procedures
- Persuasive and tactful with excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Possess good written communication skills
- Basic understanding of and ability to use computers
- Able to multi-task solve problems and make decisions
- Able to remain calm in stressful situations
- Able to exercise sound judgement
- Able to work with minimum direct supervision and in a team environment
- Ability to use a radio and microphone and to communicate effectively
- Ability to call out stops as per the CTA directive
- Ability to read and understand trip dockets
- Ability to operate a bus in high-density traffic in the downtown core
- Ability to react and deal with emergency situations as they arise
- Ability to talk to and assist passengers while safely operating a bus
- Able to project a positive and professional image at all times through personal appearance and conduct
- Able to act independently
- Able to communicate clearly in writing in person and by using corporate communications technologies such as 2-way radio etc.
- Able to deliver excellent customer service at all times and to deal with all situations in a professional manner by remaining calm and self-controlled when dealing with difficult situations and co-operating with Transit Supervisors and other City of Ottawa personnel to meet customers’ transit needs
- Available and able to work overtime and work a variety of scheduled shifts including split shifts weekends evenings and holidays as per the collective agreement
Applicants must be able to meet the physical requirements of the job including but not limited to performing the following tasks which are repetitive and constant during a normal shift as a Bus Operator:
- Ability to sit for long periods of time in the driver’s seat while wearing a seat belt
- Ability to bend twist body and to manipulate controls independently or simultaneously at any given time while wearing a seatbelt in the driver’s seat
- Ability to “reach over-head” with both arms to manipulate controls
- Constant twisting and neck rotation of different ranges to check mirrors bus passes etc.
- Ability to perform required MTO pre-trip inspection which involves walking bending squatting climbing reaching twisting body in many different positions
- Medium duty lifting while assisting customers with special needs
- Constant gripping pulling and pushing to manipulate control (steering controls control valves etc.)
- Bending stooping crouching and twisting in order to keep stairway clear of ice and snow build-up
- Ability to manipulate dual foot controls independently or simultaneously at any given time
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Language Requirement: English oral reading writing is required for all positions.
Some positions may be designated Day 1 Ready with an immediate requirement for language proficiency in both English and French as follows:
French oral reading required.
English oral reading writing required.
Candidates must meet language requirements for the position to be considered for hire.
- Police Record Check: The successful candidate will be required to complete a Vulnerable Sector Check with the Police Services detachment in their jurisdiction to the City of Ottawa’s satisfaction.; Police record checks completed by a third-party company will not be accepted.
- Driver’s License Requirement: A valid Ontario unrestricted G class driver’s license (or provincial equivalent) with 0 demerit points accumulated.
Driver’s abstract with no demerit points and to the satisfaction of the City.
Must be able to pass the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) medical exam required to obtain a class C license prior to hire.
- Must be able to work shifts weekends and statutory holidays at a variety of locations.
- Experience and formal training combined with demonstrated performance and ability may substitute for stipulated academic requirements.
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed it will no longer be available.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Ottawa promotes the principles of diversity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women people with disabilities Aboriginal peoples and persons of all races ethnic origins religions sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
The City of Ottawa provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process upon request to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request. Please contact the HR Service Centre at 613-580-2424 extension 47411.